Bajan Fried Chicken Recipe is delicious, spicy, and aromatic. It is perfect for any occasion! Get all the ingredients you need to enjoy this delightful dish, and prepare it with care.
This chicken recipe can be cooked either on the grill or in a frying pan—either way, your kitchen will smell amazing!
How to make Bajan Fried Chicken Recipe
One popular dish in Barbados is Bajan fried chicken, made with unique ingredients like paprika, garlic, thyme, black pepper, and cumin.
If you’re looking for a delicious recipe for this dish that’s not too complex to make in your kitchen at home (it only has five ingredients!), then it’s time to read on…
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup of milk
- 1-3 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1-3 tbsp of salt and pepper
- to taste fresh thyme leaves or rosemary (for garnish) (optional)
1. Make the sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan. (You could use oil if you want to keep things healthy.) Add the onion, garlic, thyme, and pepper flakes and saute for five minutes.
Add the tomato puree, paprika, and salt. Stir constantly until well mixed and blend with the tomatoes. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool down.
2. Make the chicken: Mix all the ingredients in a bowl with your hands (or use a whisk). Set aside for five minutes.
3. Wash chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towels. Dip each element in the batter and shake off excess batter from the chicken pieces before it’s placed in the frying pan.
4. Heat oil in a frying pan or on the grill at medium heat, and once hot, add the chicken pieces to fry until done, occasionally turning to brown evenly.
5. Remove and place chicken pieces on some paper towels.
6. Pour the sauce into the pan or grill and cook until thick, add in the cooked chicken pieces, cover, and let cook for 5 minutes on medium heat, occasionally turning to brown evenly.
7. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves or rosemary if you wish, and serve immediately! Enjoy!
Nutrition facts of Bajan Fried Chicken Recipe
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||3.1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||34.3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5.5 g|
The benefits of Bajan Fried Chicken Recipe
1. Paprika has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can help prevent cardiovascular diseases and some cancers.
2. Garlic is well known for being a fantastic herb for the heart because of its anti-clotting properties that can help prevent cardiovascular diseases like strokes and heart attacks.
It has also been proven to lower blood pressure in people with hypertension, therefore preventing stroke or a heart attack down the line.
3. Thyme contains calcium, fiber, magnesium, and manganese. It’s also been proven to help prevent cancer, so women should make sure they include this herb in their diets as well.
4. Rosemary is a powerful antioxidant that can help improve brain function and memory. A study even found that people who consumed rosemary extracts for six weeks had improved memory retention compared to those who did not take the herb!
It also helps with arthritis, diabetes, and heart disease by lowering harmful cholesterol levels in the body and improving blood circulation.
Where Can I Buy It?
This is a perfect dish to bring to any social gathering, so you should consider picking up some of these ingredients at your local grocery store.
You can also purchase this dish from any Caribbean food store or your local grocery store. If you’re on a tight budget, then check out the supermarket aisle for something similar for sure!
Can I Freeze It??
Absolutely! The chicken will taste just as good after being frozen. To freeze, place the wing quarters inside a baking dish and then place them in the freezer for an hour to freeze them thoroughly.
Then you can remove them from the baking dish and place them into a freezer bag. It would help if you kept them in the freezer for up to one month.
Thaw in your refrigerator overnight, or place in your fridge or under cool water for two hours before cooking.
What Side Dish Can I Serve With It?
Your Bajan Fried Chicken Recipe will taste even better when served with a delicious and healthy side dish. The best combination would be:
a. Plantains and Rice
b. Cabbage, Carrot, and Bean Sprout Salad
c. Fried Plantains (sautéed in vegetable oil) and Tofu
d. Fried Tofu and Fried Plantains (sautéed in vegetable oil)
5 Best Variations Of The Recipe
1. You can add black pepper if desired.
2. You can add more paprika if you want a more decisive kick to the dish.
3. Make sure not to over-fry the chicken, or it will taste rubbery and tough when cooled off!
4. You should cook the chicken for about 30 minutes on medium heat for the best results!
The Bottom Line
If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy dish to cook, then you should try this Bajan Fried Chicken Recipe. It’s a great recipe to add to your collection, and it’s perfect for anyone who loves spicy food!
You don’t need any fancy equipment or other unique ingredients to make this dish—all you need is your kitchen and an ingredient list!
This recipe is straightforward enough for the average person but not so simple that it will make your kitchen look messy.