Today we are going to learn how to prepare Chef Wan Chicken Curry Recipe. This Malaysian chef’s spicy take on chicken curry has fans flocking to his food truck. Chef Wan makes the world’s best black pepper chicken. Just ask him, or any of his devoted customers, to gauge opinion.
Odds are he’ll be too busy stirring a pan of freshly ground black pepper and fresh herbs to reply. It’s the start of his signature dish, Chef Wan’s black pepper chicken curry.
This Malaysian chef has a cult following for his richly spiced chicken curry Recipe Black Pepper Chicken Curry. The word is he uses up to 80 different spices in this recipe! You don’t need many ingredients for this one, but you will need plenty of time.
How To Prepare Chef Wan Chicken Curry?
If you like the chef wan chicken curry taste, then you will love his recipes. The thing with this dish is that it has a very strong flavor, so if you are not careful with the number of spices you use, you could end up ruining all your hard work.
- Fresh chicken – 500 gm
- Water – 250 ml
- Crushed black pepper – 50gm
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Ginger garlic paste – 4 tbsp
- Oil, Spices – as required
- Whole black pepper – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds/jeera – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 3 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – 2 tbsp
- Onion paste – 5 tbsp or to taste
- Tomato paste/ puree -5 tbsp or to taste
- Chilli powder – 2 tsp or to taste
- Tomato – 2 nos (chopped)
- Coriander leaves – little for garnishing
How To Prepare and Cook?
2. After 10 minutes, wash the marinated chicken in running water twice or thrice to remove all the masalas from the chicken pieces. This is optional but highly advisable to do so.
3. Take a pressure cooker, add the oil, and heat it for 30 seconds. Add the whole black pepper (1 tbsp), cumin seeds, and coriander powder to the hot oil. Allow them to stumble. They will get fried very fast, so keep your face away from this mixture as they can burn you easily.
4. Once the spices are fried, add the onion paste to it and mix well. Fry, this mixture for 20 minutes or until it turns golden brown.
5. Add ginger garlic paste to it and fry again till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes away completely.
6. Now, put the chicken pieces in the pressure cooker and give it a good stir. Add tomato puree to the cooker and mix well to get rid of all the lumps.
7. Add salt, chili powder, garam masala powder, and coriander powder in it and mix well with chicken pieces. If you feel that the gravy is very dry, add water accordingly while cooking the chicken in a pressure cooker.
8. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook the chicken for 5 whistles at the high flame or up to 10 minutes. You can check if your chicken is cooked by poking it with a fork or spoon. Once you press the fork/spoon on a piece of chicken, it should get mashed easily without any resistance.
9. Once the pressure is released, open the cooker and check if your chicken pieces are cooked well, and the gravy is thick enough to your taste. If not, then cook it for some more time in a closed pressure cooker or pan. Also, adjust the water according to your preference. Make sure that the consistency of curry should be thick.
10. Now add chopped tomato pieces and cooked chicken to the curry itself. Add little coriander leaves for garnishing. Mix well with your ladle or spoon to coat everything well with curry gravy. Your dish is ready now! Serve it hot along with rice, roti, or naan.
Enjoy Chef Wan’s Black Pepper Chicken Curry Recipe.
The Bottom Line
Conclusion paragraph: Chef Wan’s chicken curry is a dish that will make your mouth water. The sauce for this dish has hints of coconut milk, cilantro, and spices like ginger, garlic, onion, turmeric powder, and black pepper to create the perfect flavor profile.
You can find it at many different restaurants, or you could try making it yourself! If you’re looking for an easy-to-follow recipe, we recommend checking out Epicurious’ article on how to prepare the meal.