Chicken Santorini is a dish inspired by the Greek island Santorini. It’s popular in Australia and New Zealand. The name is a pun on Santorini, which originated in Greece.
It’s a chicken-based dish with an additional tomato, feta cheese, and oregano sauce. It can be served in various ways, including atop rice or pasta, in a sandwich, or as a wrap filling. It’s normally served with bread and topped with salad, or sometimes fries.
How To Make Chicken Santorini?
- 1.3 LB Whole Chicken (around 5 pieces)
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 2-3 Red bell peppers, sliced
- 2-3 Green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 Medium onion (approximately 12 oz), thinly sliced into rings and wedges
- 1 bunch fresh oregano, chopped roughly (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup plain flour (for dredging)
- Salt & Pepper to taste. Process flour with a pinch of salt until well mixed. Use full cap if using sea salt.
Step 1: Wash and marinate the chicken with 1/4 cup of Olive Oil, Oregano, Salt & Pepper for about 30 minutes.
Step 2: Rinse off the marinade from the chicken. Dredge the chicken in plain flour and sautee on high heat until lightly golden. Set aside on a plate to cool.
Step 3: Heat 1 TBSP Olive Oil in a pan and fry the chicken for about 3 – 4 minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp.
Step 4: Add the Red and Green bell peppers and fry for 2 minutes.
Step 5: In a separate pan, sautee the onions for about 10 minutes until soft.
Step 6: Add 1/4 cup of Olive Oil, Oregano, Salt & Pepper to the pan and fry for two minutes on medium heat.
Step 7: Now add the cooked chicken to the pan with all its juices (the sauce will have separated), stir all to combine, then serve with salad or bread.
|Calories||390 per serving|
|Carbs||4g (1g sugar)|
5 Amazing Serving Ideas of Chicken Santorini
1. Chicken Santorini with Chips
Eat this chicken with a variety of your favorite chips. These chips can be thin cut potatoes. You can also use normal fries or match sticks to make the French fry-like chips.
This chicken dish will make you feel like you are on a Greek island enjoying fresh Greek fries.
2. Chicken Santorini Sandwich With Coleslaw
This is another dish you can make for dinner. You can use normal bread and enjoy this with the sandwich meat of your choice. The chicken, cheese, and coleslaw combination is a great one.
3. Chicken Santorini Wrap
This is a great chicken wrap you can make. Make the wrap with normal bread or tortilla. Add some lettuce and tomato to this chicken wrap, and you have a healthy, filling, and delicious meal.
4. Chicken Santorini Casserole With Feta Cheese
This dish is an all-time favorite for many people who love casseroles. You can toss in a variety of vegetables to this casserole and enjoy it with a piece of bread. You can also cook it in the oven.
5. Chicken Santorini Pasta With Salad
This is another great way to enjoy this dish and make it extra healthy. You can add any pasta you wish and cook it according to the directions on the packet.
Then put on as much lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and capsicum as you want to on top of that to make this chicken dish healthy, filling, and delicious.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Chicken Santorini?
There are many health benefits of this dish.
1. The high protein content in the dish helps deliver the essential amino acids to your body, thus building muscles.
2. Chicken Santorini has a lot of minerals, such as iron, zinc, and calcium, which are very important for our bodies.
3. Vitamin A and Vitamin C are also present in this dish, which is essential for your body to help protect it from numerous diseases like cancer, heart diseases, and many others.
4. Its amino acid content also helps improve muscle tone and helps the body fight off many diseases.
5. Chicken Santorini also has a high content of antioxidants, which plays an important role in cancer prevention and many other diseases.
6. It has a cholesterol-reducing effect on the body due to its high vitamin E content. Therefore, you should have this dish once a week to avoid heart diseases and strokes, which are major problems nowadays.
Have Any Side Effects Of Chicken Santorini?
Chicken Santorini has some effects that can make it harmful for you if you take some medication for heart disease, diabetes, or hypertension.
It would help if you talked to your doctor first before having this dish. These medications include anti-depressants, blood pressure medications, and cholesterol-lowering medicine.
Can Kids Eat Chicken Santorini?
Kids do not get any of the effects of this dish, and it is recommended that they eat it after you have cooked them.
Can I Freeze Chicken Santorini?
Chicken Santorini can be frozen without losing its taste. The taste might vary depending on the brand you use. You can freeze it in an airtight container if not spread it all over the freezer.
When freezing it, place an ice pack on top or a cup of water to make a thick layer to protect the chicken from getting freezer burns.
The ending Line
Chicken Santorini is a delicious meal that you can prepare in the comfort of your home and serve to your family and friends.
If you are looking for a tasty chicken dish, I think this is the best dish for you. It is easy to make and delicious.
The preparation time is short, so you can prepare it at short notice or when you feel like eating something different.