Chicken tocino recipe is a popular Filipino breakfast meal. It consists of fried chicken marinated in soy sauce and vinegar, served with garlic rice and eggs.
This recipe makes for an easy weekend brunch dish that the whole family will love! The first step in making this meal is to prepare the marinade for the meat.
In a bowl, combine one cup of water with two tablespoons of soy sauce, white vinegar, and some salt and pepper.
Once you have mixed all ingredients, place your chicken thighs into the mixture so they can soak up those delicious flavors overnight or at least for four hours before cooking them on low heat on top of your stove.
How To Prepare A Chicken Tocino Recipe?
- 1/2 kilo pork or chicken, thinly sliced.
- 1 cup water.
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce.
- 1 tablespoon salt.
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorn.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed.
- Cooking oil for frying the meat and garlic rice.
1. Combine water, soy sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper in a pan.
2. Add garlic and pork or chicken slices.
3. Soak for 3-4 hours or overnight if you have the time.
4. Drain meat and discard marinade.
5. Heat cooking oil in a pan over medium heat.
6. Pan-fry meat until meat is brown and crispy on both sides. Set aside.
7. In a wok, heat equal parts are cooking oil and butter over medium-high heat. Fry garlic rice, frequently stirring for five minutes or until the grain of the rice is visible again before adding soy sauce to taste.
8. Plate garlic rice, top with crispy chicken tocino and an egg sunny-side up. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Fact Of Chicken Tocino
A single serving of chicken tocino with two tablespoons of rice contains approximately:
The Health Value Of Chicken Tocino Recipe
Aside from being a great source of protein, chicken tocino is also low in unhealthy saturated fats and calories.
It is a perfect dish for those who are trying to maintain or lose weight, as well as for people who are looking for healthy breakfast options.
Additionally, the garlic rice that accompanies this dish is a good source of thiamin, fiber, phosphorus, and manganese.
Is This Recipe Suitable For Pregnant Women?
There is no definitive answer as to whether or not chicken tocino is safe for pregnant women. However, it is generally recommended that pregnant women avoid eating the undercooked meat.
So if you are pregnant, it is best to cook the chicken all the way through to ensure that it is safe to eat.
Is It Good For Heart Patients?
This dish is not recommended for people with heart problems as it is high in unhealthy saturated fats.
However, for everyone else, chicken tocino is a healthy and delicious breakfast option that the whole family can enjoy!
The Benefit Of Chicken Tocino Recipe
1. This dish is easy to make and can be tailored to your liking.
2. Chicken tocino is a great source of protein.
3. The garlic rice that accompanies this dish is good fiber, phosphorus, and manganese.
4. This dish is low in unhealthy saturated fats and calories.
5. Chicken tocino is perfect for those who are trying to maintain or lose weight.
6. This dish is a healthy and delicious breakfast option that the whole family can enjoy!
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Yes, you can freeze chicken tocino. However, it is best first to pan-fry the meat and then freeze them in an airtight container.
When you are ready to eat, reheat in the microwave or stovetop. You can also freeze the garlic rice separately. Just thaw and reheat before serving.
The Bottom Line
The chicken tocino recipe is a dish that has been passed down for generations. The Spanish created it during their colonization of the Philippines in the 16th century, and today it is considered one of our national dishes.
This hearty dish features shredded meat cooked with soy sauce, vinegar, garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and sugar until browned (and not burned).
Tocino means “brown” or “tanned” in English; this name refers to how the meat turns out after cooking – crispy on top but tender inside.
You can add some chopped onions before putting everything into your pot to make it even more delicious! Give this Filipino favorite a try tonight! Thank you for reading this article.