Coco Ichibanya Chicken Curry Recipe. Coco Ichibanya is a curry restaurant with many outlets throughout Japan. The chain’s strategy is to provide affordable and tasty meals in an easy-to-eat setting.
Their menu includes all kinds of curries, such as omurice, fried chicken wrapped in special sauce and cheese katsu (pork cutlet in cheese sauce), alongside the staple chicken curry. If you are an absolute beginner, even this simplest chicken curry dish is guaranteed to satisfy your taste buds.
This famous dish consists of only four ingredients: rice, a special roux made from flour and black pepper, onions and thinly-sliced large pieces of juicy chicken.
The special roux is the most important element, which gives Coco Ichibanya’s curry its characteristic sweetness and unique flavour. A friend of mine who lived in Tokyo brought me back a bottle of this specially-made condiment, so now I can recreate this dish at home whenever I want!
How to Prepare Coco Ichibanya Chicken Curry Recipe
Coco Ichibanya Chicken Curry Recipe is a recipe that can be made in 20 minutes with only 4 ingredients! Mix the roux into cooked rice to make chicken curry. If you want to eat immediately, add a little water to the mixture.
- A Saucepan or a Frying Pan
- To Cook Rice: 1 Tbs Butter and 1/4 Cup Water
- To Make Roux: 3 Tbs Flour and 2 Tbs Vegetable Oil
- A Bowl to Mix the Ingredients Together
- Onion – 1 Medium Size, Thinly Sliced (Can Use White or Red)
- Chicken – 1/2 Breast, Thinly Sliced (Can Use White or Dark Meat)
- Salt and Pepper for Taste
1. Heat the frying pan over medium heat, add flour and oil. Toast the flour for about 1 minute or until it starts to turn golden brown.
2. Add butter and water to the roux you made in Step 2 in a saucepan and mix thoroughly.
3. Cook the onion until it is translucent (about 1-2 minutes on medium heat), and then add the chicken. Cook until it is no longer pink (about 3-4 minutes).
4. Add rice to the saucepan you used to cook onions and chicken in step 3 and mix well with a roux from Step 2.
5. Season with salt and pepper for taste.
6. Serve with the saucepan of curry on a plate and mix when eating.
The most important part is the “roux”, which gives Coco Ichibanya’s curry its characteristic sweetness and unique flavour. A friend of mine who lived in Tokyo brought me back a bottle of this specially-made condiment, so now I can recreate this dish at home whenever I want!
About how much water should I add?
During cooking, if you would like your curry sauce to be less in density, add water. If you want your curry to be denser (and for the sauce to thicken), remove water and let it simmer until it becomes as thick as you like.
The restaurant always includes a “curry-rice” dish on their menu and other classic Japanese dishes such as omurice and katsu kare (pork cutlet in curry sauce).
However, Coco Ichibanya is known for its chicken curry dish. Their home page states that they sell approximately 120,000 servings of this dish daily! Coco Ichibanya stores can be found throughout Japan and overseas: The US (in Hawaii and California), China (in Beijing and Shanghai) and Singapore.
They attempt to expand their presence throughout China, Southeast Asia and Europe, where curry is especially popular. I hope that more people around the world will be able to experience Coco Ichibanya’s curry soon!
Nutrition Fact of Coco Ichibanya Chicken Curry Recipe
Nutrition facts per serving:
- Calories – 613 kcal
- Protein – 48 g
- Fat – 23 g
- Carbohydrates – 65 g
- Sodium – 1590 mg
Coco Ichibanya Chicken Curry Recipe is good for Weight Loss?
Coco Ichibanya Chicken Curry Recipe is not good for weight loss because it contains a lot of carbs and fats. But you can eat this dish in a small amount to fill your stomach. So, you should avoid eating it too often if you are trying to lose weight.
The Bottom Line
All in all, I enjoyed this Coco Ichibanya Chicken Curry Recipe. It was easy to make with few ingredients, and it tasted delicious. The spices were spot on so that the flavour of the curry permeated every bite!
This is a great recipe for anyone who wants something different or has never tried Indian food before because it’s not too spicy but still flavorful enough to enjoy. Have you tried Cocoa Ichibanya Chicken Curry Recipe? Comment below to share your thoughts.